SING TO THE LORD!
"They overcame him with the word of our testimony." Revelation 12:11
We usually do not equate prayer with music, but the Jews do. Did you
ever listen to a Jewish worship service? The priest intones his
prayers in music. Music is a gift of God and in prayer is a gift to
God. Both Old and New Testaments are full of examples and commands for
individuals and groups to SING UNTO THE LORD. The key here is not
just sing, but to whom we sing - TO THE LORD. It is the most intimate
of fellowships with God.
David exhorted people everywhere to sing to the Lord... with psalms,
with praises, with loud shouts, with dancing, with instruments, and
much more. He made it a personal commitment stating "I WILL SING"
again and again throughout the Psalms. He gives us his personal
reasons for such singing too: "because it is good, pleasant, comely,
and because He has... triumphed gloriously, dealt bountifully with me,
redeemed my soul, done marvelous things, gotten the victory, done
wondrous works, done excellent things, has great power, and He is a
refuge in trouble. He also tells us how he does this singing ...with
my whole heart, while I have my being, upon his bed, in the
congregation, in the night seasons, daily perform his vows."
The New Testament is no less emphatic about singing to the Lord in
prayer. In Revelation 15:3 it is the Song of Moses and the Song of the
Lamb. God reveals the victory that believers have over the powers of
Satan, even when is thrown down to earth with great wrath. The secret
is in "the blood of the Lamb," but how often we forget the second part
of that "the word of their testimony." That testimony is the song of
the redeemed. Paul exhorts the church individually and corporately to
SING TO THE LORD. In Ephesians 5:19 he says, "Speaking to yourselves
in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in
your heart to the Lord;" Then again in Colossians 3:16 he repeats:
"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching
and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs,
singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord." Singing to the Lord is
the badge of the believer. It is the "living water" flowing out of
our bellies for "out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks."
A Command of Scripture
Singing to the Lord is a command of Scripture in both Old and New
Testaments. It will be part of our joys in heaven. Let us rehearse
for heaven's courts and learn to practice the truth of Psalm 100. "Enter
his gates with thanksgiving and into his courts with praise. Be thankful
unto him and bless his name."
A Law for Jacob
1 Sing aloud unto God our strength: make a joyful noise unto the God of
Jacob. 2 Take a psalm, and bring hither the timbrel, the pleasant harp
with the psaltery. 3 Blow up the trumpet in the new moon, in the time
appointed, on our solemn feast day. 4 For this was a statute for Israel,
and a law of the God of Jacob. 5 This he ordained in Joseph for a
testimony, when he went out through the land of Egypt: where I heard a
language that I understood not. 6 I removed his shoulder from the
burden: his hands were delivered from the pots. - Psalm 81:1-6
CHORUSES OF ADORATION
There are many old and new choruses that lend themselves to
ministering to the Lord in songs of worship and adoration. The
criteria for a worship song is that is must be addressed to the Lord
as a prayer of worship, not just about the Lord or one's personal
experience. They should be of simple melodies easily sung without
instrument, as opposed to songs of difficult and complex meters.
Here are a few suggestions to get you started.
- Thou Art Worthy - Learning To Lean
- He Is Lord - My Jesus I Love Thee
- His Name Is Wonderful - He Is Able
- I Love You Lord - Open Our (My) Eyes Lord
- O Come Let Us Adore Him - Spirit of Living God
- Jesus, Name Above All Names - Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus
- There's Something About That Name - More Precious Than Silver
- Alleluia, He's my Savior - I Exalt Thee
- Jesus Is the Sweetest Name I Know - As The Deer
HINT: One of my favorite activities in a personal prayer retreat is to carry along a walkman with
earphones and tapes of accapella worship music. It is simple,
unembellished, Christ centered worship, and best of all I can sing along
addressing each song from my heart to the Lord. You may choose to use
music with instrumentation but be careful that it does not overpower,
call attention to itself, or interrupt your commuion with the Lord.
Use Songs In Intercession
Try singing through the Preparation for Intercessory Prayer Time. Each
of the steps lend themselves easily to hymns and songs that are
reverent, worshipful and expressive of what we are praying about.
Remember, these are not hymns and choruses about God but songs address
to Him. Try it. Remember too, there are many more choruses, hymns and
spiritual songs than we can suggest here.
Be Still - Be Still My Soul, I Come to the Garden Alone, Open
My Eyes Lord, I Want to See Jesus I Will Keep My Mind Stayed on You
Worship - As the Deer, I Love You Lord, In Moments Like These,
Jesus, Name Above All Names His Name is Wonderful, Be Exalted, Father
I Love You, Isn't He?
Thanks - Give Thanks, God Is So God, In His (Your) Time,
Allelujah - Thank you Jesus, Thank You Lord for Saving My Soul
Confession - Cleanse My Heart O God, Create In Me A Clean
Heart, Spirit of God Descend Upon My Heart, Hide Me In Your Holiness,
According To The Loving Kindness Father
Armor - A Shield About Me, Fill Me Now, I Surrender All, Spirit
of the Living God Fall Fresh On Me, Mighty Warrior
Burdens - Burdens are Lifted At Calvary, I Cast My Every Care
Sing unto the Lord
- Exodus 15:1 Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto
the LORD, and spake, saying, I will sing unto the LORD, for he hath
triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the
- Judges 5:3 Hear, O ye kings; give ear, O ye princes; I, even I, will
sing unto the LORD; I will sing praise to the LORD God of Israel.
- 1 Chronicles 16:9 Sing unto him, sing psalms unto him, talk ye of all
his wondrous works.
- 1 Chronicles 16:23 Sing unto the LORD, all the earth; shew forth from
day to day his salvation.
- Psalms 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness:
and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
- Psalms 9:2 I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to
thy name, O thou most High.
- Psalms 9:11 Sing praises to the LORD, which dwelleth in Zion: declare
among the people his doings.
- Psalms 18:49 Therefore will I give thanks unto thee, O LORD, among
the heathen, and sing praises unto thy name.
- Psalms 21:13 Be thou exalted, LORD, in thine own strength: so will we
sing and praise thy power.
- Psalms 13:6 I will sing unto the LORD, because he hath dealt
bountifully with me.
- Psalms 30:4 Sing unto the LORD, O ye saints of his, and give thanks
at the remembrance of his holiness.
- Psalms 33:2 Praise the LORD with harp: sing unto him with the
psaltery and an instrument of ten strings.
- Psalms 33:3 Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud
- Psalms 47:6 Sing praises to God, sing praises: sing praises unto our
King, sing praises.
- Psalms 51:14 O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing
aloud of thy righteousness.
- Psalms 57:7 My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing
and give praise
- Psalms 57:9 I will praise thee, O Lord, among the people: I will sing
unto thee among the nations.
- Psalms 59:16 But I will sing of thy power; yea, I will sing aloud of
thy mercy in the morning: for thou hast been my defence and refuge in
the day of my trouble.
- Psalms 61:8 So will I sing praise unto thy name for ever, that I may
daily perform my vows.
- Psalms 66:2 Sing forth the honour of his name: make his praise
- Psalms 66:4 All the earth shall worship thee, and shall sing unto
thee; they shall sing to thy name. Selah.
- Psalms 68:4 Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that
rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him.
- Psalms 68:32 Sing unto God, ye kingdoms of the earth; O sing praises
unto the Lord; Selah:
- Psalms 71:23 My lips shall greatly rejoice when I sing unto thee; and
my soul, which thou hast redeemed.
- Psalms 75:9 But I will declare for ever; I will sing praises to the
God of Jacob.
- Psalms 81:1 Sing aloud unto God our strength: make a joyful noise unto
the God of Jacob.
- Psalms 89:1 I will sing of the mercies of the LORD for ever: with my
mouth will I make known thy faithfulness to all generations.
- Psalms 95:1 O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful
noise to the rock of our salvation.
- Psalms 96:1 O sing unto the LORD a new song: sing unto the LORD, all
- Psalms 96:2 Sing unto the LORD, bless his name; shew forth his
salvation from day to day.
- Psalms 98:1 O sing unto the LORD a new song; for he hath done
marvellous things: his right hand, and his holy arm, hath gotten him
- Psalms 98:4 Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a
loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.
- Psalms 98:5 Sing unto the LORD with the harp; with the harp, and the
voice of a psalm.
- Psalms 100:2 Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence
- Psalms 101:1 I will sing of mercy and judgment: unto thee, O LORD,
will I sing.
- Psalms 104:33 I will sing unto the LORD as long as I live: I will
sing praise to my God while I have my being.
- Psalms 105:2 Sing unto him, sing psalms unto him: talk ye of all his
- Psalms 108:1 O God, my heart is fixed; I will sing and give praise,
even with my glory.
- Psalms 108:3 I will praise thee, O LORD, among the people: and I will
sing praises unto thee among the nations.
- Psalms 135:3 Praise the LORD; for the LORD is good: sing praises unto
his name; for it is pleasant.
- Psalms 138:1 I will praise thee with my whole heart: before the gods
will I sing praise unto thee.
- Psalms 144:9 I will sing a new song unto thee, O God: upon a psaltery
and an instrument of ten strings will I sing praises unto thee.
- Psalms 147:7 Sing unto the LORD with thanksgiving; sing praise upon
the harp unto our God:
- Psalms 145:7 They shall abundantly utter the memory of thy great
goodness, and shall sing of thy righteousness.
- Psalms 146:2 While I live will I praise the LORD: I will sing praises
unto my God while I have any being.
- Psalms 149:1 Praise ye the LORD. Sing unto the LORD a new song, and
his praise in the congregation of saints.
- Psalms 147:1 Praise ye the LORD: for it is good to sing praises unto
our God; for it is pleasant; and praise is comely.
- Psalms 147:7 Sing unto the LORD with thanksgiving; sing praise upon
the harp unto our God:
- Psalms 149:3 Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing
praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.
- Psalms 149:5 Let the saints be joyful in glory: let them sing aloud
upon their beds.