What Are Strongholds?
Strongholds are areas of resistance to the will of God. They are areas that have been invaded and occupied by the enemy. They are places where Satan has been given his way through surrender of some area of life that rightfully belongs to God. Strongholds can infiltrate our personal lives, our churches, our families, and our organizations. Wherever Satan is allowed to play becomes a stronghold. If we allowed bees to nest in the walls of our house they would soon multiply and occupy the entire house. So it is with Satan. Give him an inch, and he will take a mile.
The enemy leaves behind some telltale signs. Jesus said the theif comes "The thief doesn't come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy" - John 10:10 He always leaves destruction in his wake.
- 1. TRIALS - Attacked & Sieged by enemy
- people - enemies persecutors, blasphemers, interferers
- finances - devouring worm, waster, losses
- family - disintegration, scatterer, anger
- marriage - destroyer, divorce, separation
- problems - flood of bad events
- physical - health attacks "buffeting"
- 2. TORMENTS - Oppression of the enemy
- depression - prolonged emotional attacks
- physical - spirit of infirmity
- moral - obsessive temptations
- fears - unfounded fears, anxieties, panics
- anger - hatred, bitterness, temper, rage
- 3. TRAGEDIES - Bondage to the enemy
- drugs/alcohol etc. - under the power of substances
- sexual deviations - porno, homosexuality, immorality
- backslidden - apostate deliberate willful turning away
- abusive behavior - destructive, assaults, language
- insanities - uncontrollable mind, psychosis
- occult involvement - consulting psychics, palm readers etc
- cults - blinded to the truth, choose to believe a lie
The Enemy's Strongholds
2 Corinthians 10:4-5
(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;Certainly Satan has strongholds. The devil took Jesus up onto a high mountain and showed Jesus the kingdoms of this would said he would give them to Jesus if he would bow and worship him - "for they are given unto me." Jesus did not contest that point. "Whoever sins is a slave of sin." Satan owns territory either because it was willingly given over to him, or he has usurped it.
- We Must Be Able to Identify the Enemy's Strongholds. - Matt 16:23
But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.
- Nesting places
- Hiding places
- Occupation or prolonged torments
- We Must Enlist Heavy Armor - Pea Shooters Won't Do. - Matt. 17:14-21
14 And when they were come to the multitude, there came to him a certain man, kneeling down to him, and saying,15 Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water.16 And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him.17 Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me.18 And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.19 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.
- Power weapons of artillery barrages
- Strong-holds require strong weapons
- Strong man is armed and defending his own. Lk 11:21
- We Must Concentrate the Attack on Enemies Fortifications. - Matt 18:18-20
18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
- You must assault together, not alone.
- You cannot attack many strongholds at once.
- You must focus on one-at-a-time
- You must prevail, prolong, laying siege
- You must be willing to sacrifice - time / sleep / food